The Supreme Court allowed an Illinois law banning high-powered semi-automatic weapons to remain in effect.
In an order issued Thursday without any notable dissent or explanation for its decision, the Supreme Court denied a request from the National Association for Gun Rights, which had requested a preliminary injunction.
The ban, signed by Illinois Democratic Gov. J.B. Pritzker in January, includes penalties for individuals who “carry or possess…manufacture, sell, deliver, import or purchase any assault weapon or .50-caliber rifle.”
The law also includes legal penalties for people who “sell, manufacture, deliver, import, possess, or purchase any assault weapon attachment or .50 caliber cartridge.”
Governor of Illinois. J.B. Pritzker signs law banning firearms ads targeting children
The ban also covers any combination or tools used to increase the rate of fire of a semi-automatic weapon, and the law includes a limit on the purchase of certain magazines.
After Thursday’s ruling, the law will remain in effect while it is considered in lower courts.
The National Association for Gun Rights said in a statement that the ruling does not affect the case.
“A right delayed is a right denied, and every day a gun ban is put in place is a mockery of freedom. We will be back at the Supreme Court once our legal team has finished drafting our cert petition, and they will have to decide whether they really meant what they said.” Heller And the bridgeDudley Brown, President of the National Association for Gun Rights, said:
Federal judge grants injunction temporarily blocking enforcement of Illinois firearms law
A panel on the US Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit in November also denied a request to block the law. In August, the Illinois Supreme Court upheld the law by a vote of 4 to 3.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
People who previously owned guns that would have been prohibited by law can still own them if they registered with the state before January 1, 2024.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.