Prince Harry achieves a major victory in the UK phone hacking case: “vindicated and confirmed” – LSB

Garima
4 Min Read


Prince Harry reacts to the court ruling in the phone hacking case

Prince Harry

Carl Kurt/Getty Images

Prince Harry He speaks after achieving a major victory in his legal battle against Mirror Group newspapers.

A London court ruled in favor of Harry, 39, on Friday, December 15, with the judge finding “sufficient evidence” that the publisher “engaged in illegal information gathering, including phone hacking,” according to court documents obtained by the website. “Instagram”. Us Weekly.

The Duke of Sussex has sued Mirror Group Newspapers – which owns publications such as daily Mail – For allegedly hacking his phone to obtain information between 1996 and 2011. While the media company denied the allegations, London Judge Timothy Fancourt It decided on Friday that evidence presented by Harry’s legal team had been “illegally collected by journalists.” Harry received compensation of £140,600 ($180,000).

“This case is not just about hacking. It is about a systematic practice of illegal and appalling behaviour, followed by clever operations and the destruction of evidence, the shocking scope of which can only be revealed through these measures,” Harry said in a statement after the ruling. the people. “The journey to justice can be slow and painful, and since filing my claim almost five years ago, stories of defamation and intimidation tactics have been published against me and my family.”

Explaining Prince Harry's many legal issues

Related: Prince Harry’s many legal issues explained: phone hacking and more

Since stepping down as a senior royal in 2020, Prince Harry has not been shy about standing up for himself – and has attempted to do so through numerous lawsuits. Perhaps most famously, the Duke of Sussex fought against the fact that he and his wife, Meghan Markle, lost state-funded police protection during the British elections. […]

Harry noted that he has since learned that “patience is actually a virtue” when it comes to his court cases. (He testified for seven hours against the Mirror Group in June.)

He continued: “My commitment to pursuing this issue is based on my belief in our need – and our collective right – to a free and fair press.” “And someone who takes responsibility properly when necessary. That is what we need in Britain and around the world. Anything else poisons the well of a profession we all depend on.”

Harry said his win was an example of “what happens when the power of the press is abused” before pleading with anyone who had been “deliberately deceived” by the Mirror Group to “investigate and bring charges against the company and those who have broken the law”. “

Prince Harry's ups and downs with the royal family over the years, from royal exits to Meghan Markle's tell-all and more

Related: Prince Harry’s ups and downs with the Royal Family over the years

Prince Harry’s relationship with his relatives is complex and complex. Harry is the youngest son of King Charles III and the late Princess Diana. As children, he and his older brother, Prince William, seemed inseparable, but as they grew older, cracks began to form in their relationship. “There was always a part of Harry […]

He concluded, “I’ve been told that slaying dragons will burn you, but in light of today’s victory and the importance of doing what is needed for a free and fair press, this is a price worth paying. The mission continues.”

While his trial against Mirror Group Newspapers has concluded, Harry is preparing to file another lawsuit against News Group Newspapers.

In July, Judge Fancourt ruled that Harry’s case would move forward on allegations of illegal information but would continue without phone hacking claims. The trial is scheduled to begin next month.

Share This Article
Leave a comment
error: Content is protected !!