Jason Holder, Nicholas Pooran and Kyle Mayers reject central contracts for West Indies – LSB

Garima
5 Min Read


Former captains Jason Holder and Nicholas Pooran, and Kyle Mayers, have declined West Indies central contracts for 2023-24. However, the trio will be available for the T20I series during the year, Cricket West Indies (CWI) said in a statement announcing 14 contracts for men and 15 contracts for women.
In an era of increased workloads and franchise T20 leagues that provide players with options to secure relative financial security, this is not the first time that key players have declined West Indies contracts; Kieron Pollard, Dwayne Bravo and Chris Gayle have done so since 2010. In a recent highly publicized case, Trent Boult, captain of the New Zealand team, relinquished his central contract in August last year, but is still playing for his country in World Championship. World Cup 2023. In October this year, Ben Stokes turned down a three-year contract with England, signing for just one year instead.
It remains to be seen whether this means Holder (32), who has captained the West Indies in 37 of his 64 Tests and 86 of his 138 ODIs, is done with the longer formats altogether. Pooran (28) has not played Test cricket, but has captained his team in 17 ODIs with 61 ODIs in the format. Mayers (31) played 28 ODIs and 18 Tests, most famously hitting a hundred in the first Test to lead a weakened West Indies side to a thrilling 395-run chase win against Bangladesh in Chattogram.
Mayers and Pooran have been retained by Lucknow Super Giants for IPL 2024, although Holder has been released by Rajasthan Royals and will look for a new deal in the auction on December 19. Pooran has a busy T20 season ahead of him, set to make his debut in January. For Durban Super Giants in the SA20 before traveling to the UAE, having been retained by MI UAE for the ILT20. Then there is the Indian Premier League, which leads up to the Men’s T20 World Cup in June, which the West Indies jointly host with the USA.

The CWI said the contract list was drawn up taking into account “the players’ performance during the 2022-2023 evaluation period” and the recommendations of the selection committees.

“With a busy year for cricket, in all three formats, we have had several detailed discussions with the head coaches about the type of cricket they want to play,” West Indies men’s chief selector Desmond Haynes said. “We are very clear in the direction we want to go. Players who have been offered contracts are among those we expect to feature, as we look to build towards challenging for top spot when we host and compete in the ICC Men’s T20 Championship.” “2024 World Cup on home soil . We also have away Test series in Australia and England – these are two key assignments while in the 50-over format, we are looking to build a core of players aiming for the 2027 ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup.”

“We have emphasized the development of younger players, which we see as pivotal on the way to international level,” West Indies women’s selector Anne Brown-John said.

West Indies men’s contracts for 2023-24

Alec Athanazi, Craig Brathwaite, Casey Carty, Tajnarine Chanderpaul, Joshua Da Silva, Shai Hope, Akil Hussain, Alzarri Joseph, Brandon King, Judakesh Moti, Rovman Powell, Kemar Roach, Jayden Sills, Romario Shepherd.
Outside: Jermaine Blackwood, Nkrumah Bonner, Jason Holder, Kyle Myers, Obed McCoy, Nicholas Pooran, Odin Smith, Hayden Walsh Jr.
in: Alec Athanazi, Casey Carty, Tajinarine Chanderpaul, Judakesh Motion

West Indies Women’s Contracts for 2023-24

Aaliyah Allen, Shimaine Campbell, Shamelia Connell, Avi Fletcher, Sherri Anne Fraser, Shabika Gagnabi, Janelia Glasgow, Shenita Grimmond, Chenelle Henry, Zaida James, Mandy Mangro, Hayley Matthews, Karishma Ramharak, Stephanie Taylor, Rashada Williams.

Share This Article
Leave a comment
error: Content is protected !!